Nacho Imery is an Independent Family Business Consultant and Startup Mentor, and Director of Business Development at JTCGroup.com NYC office. He is an MBA attorney entrepreneur who co-founded a top-ranked law firm in Venezuela and also founded, financed and scaled startups awarded and accelerated by Latam’s leading incubators.
As an attorney, he practiced law for almost three decades. He advised multinationals and family businesses engaged in a wide range of industries in Venezuela. Nacho is Of Counsel of LEGA.law and considered a leading authority in the areas of real estate, corporate transactions, corporate tax planning, digital economy, asset protection, and family succession planning. His international experience includes acting as an international tax expert witness, international tax planning, structuring multinational inbound investments, financing arrangements, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate and tax cross-border coordinating of out-bound expansion of family businesses and tax-efficient migrations of family members to multiple jurisdictions. Also, he frequently advised in matters related to wealth planning, family governance, and trust and corporate services, in coordination with single and multi-family offices, private bankers, wealth planning advisors, and tax attorneys.
As a serial entrepreneur, in addition to co-founding and later successfully merging his law firm IMERYURDANETA.com with LEGA.law, now the largest attorney count law firm in Venezuela, Nacho also founded, financed, and scaled Uber-like express delivery startups in Venezuela and Chile, awarded by Wayra and Startup Chile, Latams leading incubators. These ventures provided him with a deep and sophisticated understanding of the startup, venture capital, and incubator ecosystem in Latam, where he has a healthy network and strong relationships with successful startup founders, angel investors, directors of venture capital firms, and directors of startup incubators.
His main areas of expertise include:
· Director JTCGroup NYC office
· Co-founded, co-managed, and scaled IMERYURDANETA.com, a Chambers & Partners top-ranked full-service law firm in Venezuela. Upon deciding to migrate to the USA, promoted and coordinated its successful merger into LEGA.law, where he adds value as Of counsel.
· Founded and acted as CEO of Tumotorizado.com in Venezuela and Zhipcode.com in Chile. These Uber-like same-day delivery startups were awarded and incubated by Wayra Venezuela and Startup Chile, Latam’s leading startup incubators.
· TEDx speaker. Re-writing the Venezuelan identity.
· Former Law Magister professor at UNIMET and IESA.
UCAB Law School - Attorney
DUKE Law School - LL.M Law
HULT Business School - MBA
Nacho Imery is Director of Business Development at JTCGroup.com NYC office. He was co-founder of IMERYURDANETA.com, merged with LEGA.law in April 2019, where he adds value to the team as Of Counsel in Tax, Strategy, and Innovation. He is also the founder and CEO of TUMOTORIZADO.com, an express delivery startup accelerated by WAYRA and STARTUP CHILE, Latam leading incubators. Tumotorizado is a P2P tech platform that via API connects online stores and eMarkets in Venezuela, to hundreds of motoentrepreneurs experts delivering goods "same day" and driven by excellence. Marcel is a former magister professor at UNIMET and IESA and has a master's law degree from Duke Law School and an MBA from Hult University. He has been recognized as a leading lawyer and entrepreneur in Venezuela by national and international ranking publications. Nacho is Director of the Board of Directors of the Venezuelan American Chamber of Commerce of the United States VAAC and is Director of the eCommerce Chamber of Venezuela Cavecom-e.
· Acted as Wealth Planning Counsel of various Family Business and HNWI in various matters related to asset protection and wealth planning. Advice included cross border coordinating teams of tax and immigration attorneys, bankers, financial advisors, and directors multiple single and multifamily family offices. Protector or trustee of various trust structures.
· Acted as International Financial and Tax Expert Witness in Parmalat ́s US$20BN bankruptcy, Europe's biggest. Participated in depositions in NYC to verify if international financing structures in excess of US$300MM coordinated with Bank of America effectively provided a tax shelter to the company.
· Advised multinationals Kizer Energy Inc, Schlumberger, Secure Oil Tools, Aggreko PLC, Lenovo, and Travelport in structuring their operations and franchises in Venezuela. Advice included corporate structure, strategic partnerships, franchising, cross-border financing, leasing, software licensing, and investing transactions.
· Co-lead and represented Nestle de Venezuela S.A. in the US$200MM hostile takeover of Mavesa by Grupo Polar de Venezuela, Venezuela ́s biggest food industry acquisition
· Represented IBM in the Venezuelan Chapter of the US$3.5BN in cash and stock, global purchase, and merger of PriceWaterhouseCoopers Consulting.
· Represented Lenovo in the Venezuelan Chapter of the US$1.75BN in cash, stock, and debt assumption, global purchase of IBM PC division.
· Represented Stellarton Corp, Canada in the purchase of Secure Oil Tools shares by Schlumberger
· Represented Dominium Color Corporation, Canada in the purchase of Cavempi shares.
· Represented individual shareholders of Albalux Corporation C.A., owner of aluminum concession rights in Venezuela, in the US$4MM sell of its shares to Alcan Inc, Canada.
· Co-founded, co-managed, and scaled IMERYURDANETA.com, a Chambers & Partners top-ranked full-service law firm in Venezuela. Upon deciding to migrate to the USA, promoted and coordinated its successful merger into LEGA.law, where he adds value as Of Counsel - Strategy.
· Founded and acted as CEO of TUMOTORIZADO.com in Venezuela and ZHIPCODE.com in Chile. These Uber-like same-day delivery startups were awarded and incubated by Wayra Venezuela and Startup Chile, Latam’s leading startup incubators. In 2020, TUMOTORIZADO.com was awarded GOLD medal by the Venezuelan eCommerce Chamber Cavecom-e, as the best express "Delivery" tech company in Venezuela, with 7+ years of experience.
· Founded, managed, scaled, and sold NACHUNGUIS WORLD, a 300+ location gumball and candy vending machine operation in Venezuela.
· Co-founded, scaled and merged B2SCorp to Juegos Moviles, today WAU.com, originally a provider of highly transactional services and platforms for clients such as Microsoft and Telefonica, which had its fleet of servers and data center. Then transformed itself into a cloud services company, especially Amazon Web Services.
· Mentor of various startups in Venezuela, Chile and the USA.
· Advisor TALPOR.com, Santiago, Chile. IT boutique shop.
· Advisor ALTACLARO.com NYC, USA. Experiential eLearning startup/platform providing attorneys with universal access to interactive professional education.
· Advisor IMERYGROUP.com, Atlanta, USA. High Performance Construction & Ratings company focused on delivering DOE Zero Energy Ready Homes. Top 1% energy conscious construction company in the USA.
· Founder of the JoinClubhouse.com Club HUB DE EMPRENDIMIENTO. Host and moderator of the Friday 7 a.m. weekly meetup/room MENTORES Y FUNDADORES CAMPEONES - Mentoría para startups
· IESA Instituto de Estudios Superiores de Administracion
Subject: Master in Business Administration - Regulatory framework, corporate associations/structures and taxes. 2010.
· UNIMET Universidad Metropolitana.
Subject: Master in Taxation - Direct taxation on income and international taxation. 2008 to 2010.
As an attorney entrepreneur, mentor and advisor I like to listen carefully. This allows me to understand your needs, identify opportunities and add value.
I like to build long and meaningful relationships. As your trusted advisor I will empathetically help you prioritize your needs and design a roadmap to achieve your personal and business goals.
I like to teamwork to deliver results. I will work with you and your team to produce massive results. You will have direct Whatsapp access to me at all times.
For your convenience, meeting options are organized by topics. When scheduling our Zoom 40 min call, please choose the topic you would like to talk about during our meeting.
· Cavecom-e International eCommerce Congress. Panel moderator speaker: Taxation of eCommerce. November, 2020
· Cavecom-e International eCommerce Congress. Panel speaker: Last-mile Logistics and Express Delivery. November, 2020
· TEDx Talk “Rewriting the identity of the Venezuelans”, Talk about corporate ethics, values and excellence. Case study: Tumotorizado.com. August, 2018
· Startup Chile Demoday - Pitch of Zhipcode.com. Santiago de Chile, May 2015
· Red Innova, Wayra Demoday - Pitch of Tumotorizado.com. Buenos Aires, May 2014
· AVDT - Speaker at the IX Venezuelan Conference on Tax Law on VAT. Joint ventures and VAT - Maracaibo, October 2009
· IDEPROCOP - Speaker at the VI IDEPROCOP Tax Forum. Caracas. Joint Ventures and VAT. October 2009
· Cantor & Web - Speaker at the Private International Conference on Succession Planning Strategies for Private Banking Clients. Miami USA, October 2009
· ABA IFA - Speaker at the 2nd Annual International Conference on Tax Planning Strategies USA - Latin America - Miami USA, May 2009
· STEP - Speaker at the Caribbean International Conference on Succession Planning for Private Banking Clients - Panama , May 2008
· UCAB - Speaker at the National Conference on Wealth Tax - Caracas, April 2007
· UCV - Speaker at the National Conference on the New Organic Law of Municipal Regime held in Caracas - Caracas, June 2006
· CAF - Speaker at the National Conference on the Society and Information Technologies - Caracas, April 2000
· Author of "Joint Venture Partnerships and Value Added Tax" available at Amazon.com.
· Author of "Cross border coordination, HNWI individual and asset migration" available at the STEP Journal.
· Top ranked corporate, international and HNWI tax attorney by Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 and Best Lawyers
· Top Ranked entrepreneur by Revista Gerente
· Awarded and sponsored by Wayra Venezuela, Grupo Telefonica incubator
· Awarded and sponsored by Startup Chile, Chilean Government incubator
· Director JTCGroup NYC Office
· Of counsel LEGA.Law
· Mentor Bam-Mentors.com. Business Accelerator Mentors
· CEO Advisor Tumotorizado.com. P2P express delivery service for the eCommerce industry
· Advisor Talpor.com. IT boutique shop
· Advisor Altaclaro.com NYC. Experiential eLearning startup/platform providing attorneys with universal access to interactive professional education.
· Director, Latam Institute of Family Businesses, Instituto Latinoamericano de Empresas Familiares ILAEF
· Director Venezuelan American Chamber of Commerce of the USA VACC
· Director Venezuelan Chamber of eCommerce Cavecom-e
· Member of the Federation Binational Chambers of Commerce of Latam FEBICHAM, International Trade Chapter
· Member of the Venezuelan Association of Tax Law AVDT
- Member of the Venezuelan Association of Financial Law ASOVEDEFI
- Member DukeGEN - The Duke Global Entrepreneurship Network
Are you thinking of starting a business or scaling it with the help of a new partner? Do you have a great idea that solves a problem and want to start your own company or a technology startup? Do you want to build a high-performance team and invite other founders to become partners, but you don't want to give a priori shares of your company's equity to your new partners? One option you could explore is entering into a joint venture agreement to slow dance with your new partner before giving shares to him. In my book Joint Venture Agreements Under the Magnifying Glass of the Value Added Tax I explain how this contract works, what are the requirements for it to be valid and what is its tax treatment from the point of view of Value Added Tax. I hope you find it useful!
It’s been a real pleasure working with Marcel. He has a rare combination of skills that cross between entrepreneurship, law, and business strategy. Best of all he has a passion for what he does which adds super fuel to any of his endeavors. Marcel’s strategic advice has been very helpful to me and my startup in expanding into (and navigating) the Latin American market. I highly recommend working with Marcel in any capacity. He's a true partner in every sense.
I had the fortune of working with Marcel in the areas of WealthManagement, capital preservation and entrepreneurship. Marcel is a dynamic individual with creative ideas for any business project you may have. His enthusiasm is really contagious and he will take any individual or entity to the next level of success.
Marcel has been one of the most influencing mentors I had in my career; he was my professor in the Master on Tax Management. During such time, Marcel stood out among his colleagues as he undertook his responsibilities in a very professional manner and his classes were prepared to be easily understood, so that students learned the logics behind the tax theories. He is an extremely documented, enthusiast, proactive and inspiring professor, who knows how to bring out the best out of the students. He is one of the best professors I have had in my entire career.
Marcel has been my 1) friend, 2) attorney, 3) client, 4) alumni group-mate, 5) golf Buddy, 6) financial protector and comrade in arms for 20 or more years. He has impressed me across all these categories for a few basic attributes that simply make him a superb person, professional and friend: impecable honesty, great intellect, deep curiosity, strong drive to know and understand, a fine sense of humor and a fun, convivial and 'get along' personality. He has added enormous value to the various cases/assignments/activities we have shared over these decades. Apart from being a stupendous attorney, I have been aware of his numerous entrepreneurial activities over the years, all of which he has tackled with energy, enthusiasm and total dedication. He knows that to build a business you not only need strategy, you need - above all - a team. His broad vision includes the business aspect as well as the more difficult team building dimension. Whether in a professional or personal capacity, Marcel is a great colleague or companion. Cannot recommend too highly! Miss him terribly.
I had the opportunity to teamwork and supervise Marcel´s work as Country Manager Chile of startup incubator TELEFÓNICA OPEN FUTURE_ / Wayra Chile. Wayra invested and accelerated Tumotorizado.com in Venezuela and provided support in the launching of Zhipcode.com in Chile. Marcel is an excellent technology-oriented entrepreneur with strong agile IT project management skills. He successfully launched technological startups in his home country Venezuela and also in Chile. He is a great team leader, always accessible, very empathic, hardworking and a great developer of relationships. Marcel´s legal background and professional experience are fundamental and one of his competitive advantages as an entrepreneur and project manager. He is persistent and very creative when tacking the typical hurdles of operating a startup. I highly recommend Marcel. Without any doubt, he would be a pivotal asset to any high performing team.
I had the opportunity to work with Marcel as Senior MarketPlace Manager of Mercadolibre Venezuela. He is an incredibly organized person with top notch marketing, management and interpersonal skills. He has excellent knowledge of the internet industry given his experience in his own express delivery startup called Tumotorizado.com. He is one of those persons who you love to discuss things with because no matter how opposite your positions may be, its always a pleasure to brainstorm with him because his creativity always produces interesting results. This ability alone translates into great management and team building. His ability to listen and value your input is one of his strengths. He is pragmatical and a very quick learner, which gives him the skills to adjust to any circumstances. He has successfully managed projects during good times and bad times. He is a thorough professional with a brilliant career, consequence of his professional skills. One of the things I admire most is his focus and ability to deliver, no matter how busy he is. He was very good at finding solutions even in complicated uncharted waters. He used his relationships very effectively to achieve the objectives. Marcel will add value to any high performance team.
I have been friend of Marcel since Law School and also had the opportunity to work with him at an international law firm in Venezuela for several years in corporate and tax matters. We both had the same extraordinary legal mentor. We were also in close contact during his recent time with Amicorp. I have followed his successful career as a top ranked corporate tax and family business attorney and also as a serial entrepreneur, which has been recognized in multiple occasions. He cofounded and scaled with his partners a top ranked full-service law firm in Venezuela and has also ventured into the digital economy founding startups that have received the support of top incubators in LatAm. Marcel is an outgoing intelligent person, honest, hardworking, very creative and has a knack for getting things done well and on time. He delivers results when engaged in his legal professional capacity. When mentoring or advising startups in a more permanent fashion, he connects with its founders as one more member of the team with a hands-on approach. He is very generous sharing his knowledge and experience. When acting as leader of his startup teams he likes to train, delegate and celebrate team successes. He connects very well with his clients, colleagues and teammates. As a startup mentor and advisor to startups, corporations and family offices, I am sure he will add a lot of value to those who decide to work with him. It has been a pleasure to work with and follow Marcel’s professional and entrepreneurial carrier. I wish him success in all his ventures.
I worked with Marcel as an outside IT service provider for several years. I was responsible for supervising Talpor´s IT team in charge of developing the IT platform for his startups Tumotorizado.com and Zhipcode.com. I found working with Marcel consistently rewarding, since he persistently tackled all challenges to put in motion his last mile messenger app in Venezuela and Chile with dedication, creativity and a smile. In addition, his interpersonal skills are exemplary and appreciated by everyone who works with him. Besides being a great learning opportunity to work with, Marcel is a take-charge and very persistent person who is able to present creative ideas and communicate the benefits. He was successful putting in motion 2 startups in very difirent and difficult environments: Venezuela with the highest inflation rate of the world and Chile, a very competitive market, by developing strategies that have resulted in constant growth. Marcel was also extraordinarily helpful in all areas of his companies with a great lidership and empathic approach. In addition to writing and communicating effectively, Marcel outperforms in sales meetings and conferences as a public speaker inspiring and motivating the audiences. He can be trusted to deliver a completed project on schedule and within budget. I highly recommend Marcel. He is a team player and would make a great asset to any organization. Today Marcel advices Talpor in strategy and business development.
El Club HUB DE EMPRENDIMIENTO y sus salas/meetups son impulsadas por un equipo de moderadores campeones: Nacho Imery, Wilbert Moreno, Angel ...
Seminar sponsored by Preqin. The potential for private capital investment in Latin America remains vast, but political and economic challeng...
Seminario patrocinado por el Venezuelan American Chamber of Commerce de USA. Ve el webminar en diferido en este link
Seminario patrocinado por Lega Law. Ve el webminar en diferido en este link https://youtu.be/1QMb_kUv3kk
Seminario patrocinado por IESA School of Management. Ve el webminar en diferido en este link https://youtu.be/YN_pFy43lCg
Seminario patrocinado por The Venezuelan Private Capital Asociation Venecapital. Ve el webminar en diferido en este link https://youtu.be/TT...
Seminar sponsored by the British Venezuelan Society. Click this link to watch seminar https://fb.watch/43sK0Rq96o/
Podcast patrocinado por Lega Law. Escucha este podcast en diferido en este link https://youtu.be/5tSODCod5vY
Podcast patrocinado por Lega Law. Escucha este podcast en diferido en este link https://youtu.be/tlNCW3TJnPE
Podcast patrocinado por Lega Law. Escucha este podcast en diferido en este link https://youtu.be/DxAO5BTSbng
Podcast patrocinado por Lega Law. Escucha este podcast en diferido en este link https://youtu.be/oRQ9HqlA_Hg
Podcast patrocinado por Lega Law. Escucha este podcast en diferido en este link https://youtu.be/6Ayngn-CDqM