Marcel (Nacho) Imery lives and works in New York City and is Director of Business Development of JTC Group New York. He is an MBA attorney entrepreneur who co-founded a top-ranked law firm in Venezuela and also founded, financed and scaled startups awarded and accelerated by Latam’s leading startup accelerators. Nacho is a HNWI, Family Enterprise, Multinational and successful Startup, GP and C-suite trusted advisor.
As an attorney, he practiced law for almost three decades. He advised multinationals and family businesses engaged in a wide range of industries in Venezuela. Nacho is ranked a leading authority in the areas of real estate, corporate transactions, corporate tax planning, digital economy, asset protection, and family succession planning. His international experience includes acting as an international tax expert witness, international tax planning, structuring multinational inbound investments, financing arrangements, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate and tax cross-border coordinating of out-bound expansion of family businesses and tax-efficient migrations of family members to multiple jurisdictions. Also, he frequently advised in matters related to wealth planning, family governance, and trust and corporate services, in coordination with single and multi-family offices, private bankers, wealth planning advisors, and tax attorneys.
As a serial entrepreneur, in addition to co-founding and later successfully merging his law firm IMERYURDANETA.com with LEGA.law, Nacho also founded, financed, and scaled Uber-like express delivery startups in Venezuela and Chile, awarded by Wayra and Startup Chile, Latams leading incubators. These ventures provided him with a deep and sophisticated understanding of the startup, venture capital, and incubator ecosystem in Latam, where he has a healthy network and strong relationships with successful startup founders, angel investors, venture capital firms, incubators and Latam´s venture capital and entrepreneurship associations.
With regard to his skills, Nacho is curious, goal-oriented, flexible, and a very creative attorney/entrepreneur. He is an attorney top-ranked by Best Lawyers, Chambers & Partners and Legal 500; and a Wayra and Startup Chile baked entrepreneur. Nacho is a skilled agile project manager, team builder, coach and leader. Quick thinker and problem solver with the capacity to design the roadmap, prioritize and produce creative solutions on time and built innovative products/services that delight and address key-users/clients needs, working with, overseeing and inspiring crossborder and cross-functional teams in the intersection of business, law, tax, accounting, finance, logistics, venturing, and technology. Effective business strategist and business development skills.
His main areas of expertise include:
· Director JTC Group New York
· Co-founded, co-managed, and scaled ImeryUrdaneta.com, a Chambers & Partners top-ranked full-service law firm in Venezuela. Upon deciding to migrate to the USA, promoted and coordinated its successful merger into LEGA
· Founded and acted as CEO of Tumotorizado.com in Venezuela and Zhipcode.com in Chile. These Uber-like same-day delivery startups were awarded, invested by and incubated by Wayra Venezuela and Startup Chile, Latam’s leading startup incubators.
· TEDx Speaker Re-writing the Venezuelan identity.
· Former Law Magister professor at UNIMET and IESA.
UCAB Law School - Attorney
DUKE Law School - LL.M Law
HULT Business School - MBA
Nacho Imery is Director of JTCGroup New York. Previously he co-founded the law firm ImeryUrdaneta.com, which merged with LEGA.law in April 2019. Founder CEO and now advisor of Tumotorizado.com, an express delivery startup accelerated by WAYRA and STARTUP CHILE, Latam leading incubators. Former tax magister professor at UNIMET and IESA with a masters in law LLM from Duke Law School and an MBA from Hult University. Nacho has been recognized as a leading lawyer and entrepreneur in Venezuela by national and international ranking publications. Nacho is Director of the Venezuelan American Chamber of Commerce of the United States VAAC, Director of the Venezuelan eCommerce Chamber Cavecom-e, Director of the Latin American Institute of Family Enterprises, USA Chapter ILAEF, member of the Venezuelan Tax Association AVDT, and Member of the Venezuelan Association of Financial Law ASOVEDEFI.
· Acted as Wealth Planning Counsel of various Family Business and HNWI in various matters related to asset protection and wealth planning. Advice included cross border coordinating teams of tax and immigration attorneys, bankers, financial advisors, and directors multiple single and multifamily family offices. Protector or trustee of various trust structures.
· Acted as International Financial and Tax Expert Witness in Parmalat ́s US$20BN bankruptcy, Europe's biggest. Participated in depositions in NYC to verify if international financing structures in excess of US$300MM coordinated with Bank of America effectively provided a tax shelter to the company.
· Advised multinationals Kizer Energy Inc, Schlumberger, Secure Oil Tools, Aggreko PLC, Lenovo, and Travelport in structuring their operations and franchises in Venezuela. Advice included corporate structure, strategic partnerships, franchising, cross-border financing, leasing, software licensing, and investing transactions.
· Co-lead and represented Nestle de Venezuela S.A. in the US$200MM hostile takeover of Mavesa by Grupo Polar de Venezuela, Venezuela ́s biggest food industry acquisition
· Represented IBM in the Venezuelan Chapter of the US$3.5BN in cash and stock, global purchase, and merger of PriceWaterhouseCoopers Consulting.
· Represented Lenovo in the Venezuelan Chapter of the US$1.75BN in cash, stock, and debt assumption, global purchase of IBM PC division.
· Represented Stellarton Corp, Canada in the purchase of Secure Oil Tools shares by Schlumberger
· Represented Dominium Color Corporation, Canada in the purchase of Cavempi shares.
· Represented individual shareholders of Albalux Corporation C.A., owner of aluminum concession rights in Venezuela, in the US$4MM sell of its shares to Alcan Inc, Canada.
· Co-founded, co-managed, and scaled ImeryUrdaneta.com, a Chambers & Partners top-ranked full-service law firm in Venezuela. Upon deciding to migrate to the USA, promoted and coordinated its successful merger into LEGA.law.
· Founded and acted as CEO of Tumotorizado.com in Venezuela and Zhipcode.com in Chile. These Uber-like same-day delivery startups were awarded and incubated by Wayra Venezuela and Startup Chile, Latam’s leading startup incubators. In 2020, Tumotorizado.com was awarded gold medal by the Venezuelan eCommerce Chamber Cavecom-e, as the best express "Delivery" tech company in Venezuela, with 7+ years of experience.
· Founded, managed, scaled, and sold Nachungui's World, a 300+ location gumball and candy vending machine operation in Venezuela.
· Co-founded, scaled and merged B2SCorp to Juegos Moviles, today WAU.com, originally a provider of highly transactional services and platforms for clients such as Microsoft and Telefonica, which had its fleet of servers and data center. Then transformed itself into a cloud services company, especially Amazon Web Services.
· Mentor of various startups in Venezuela, Chile and the USA.
· Advisor Talpor.com, Santiago, Chile. IT boutique shop.
· Advisor Altaclaro.com NYC, USA. Experiential eLearning startup/platform providing attorneys with universal access to interactive professional education.
· Advisor ImeryGroupcom, Atlanta, USA. High Performance Construction & Ratings company focused on delivering DOE Zero Energy Ready Homes. Top 1% energy conscious construction company in the USA.
· IESA Instituto de Estudios Superiores de Administracion
Subject: Master in Business Administration - Regulatory framework, corporate associations/structures and taxes. 2010.
· UNIMET Universidad Metropolitana.
Subject: Master in Taxation - Direct taxation on income and international taxation. 2008 to 2010.
As an attorney entrepreneur, mentor and advisor I like to listen carefully. This allows me to understand your needs, identify opportunities and add value.
I like to build long and meaningful relationships. As your trusted advisor I will empathetically help you prioritize your needs and design a roadmap to achieve your personal and business goals.
I like to teamwork to deliver results. I will work with you and your team to produce massive results. You will have direct Whatsapp access to me at all times.
For your convenience, meeting options are organized by topics. When scheduling our Zoom 40 min call, please choose the topic you would like to talk about during our meeting.
- Global entrepreneurship by the Venezuelan diaspora - Plan Pais & Red Global de la Diaspora de Venezuela - Speaker - Washington, USA - August 2022
- Corporate and private client structures for Startups - Citi Bank & Endeavor breakfast for African Endeavor CEOs - Lagos, Nigeria - April 2022
· Asset and business protection structuring in Latam - 1st International Summit of Latam Family Offices - Minute 52:52 - Speaker - Miami, USA - April 2022
· Government sponsored actions to spark innovation and the growth of the entrepreneurial and private venturing ecosystem. The Chilean, Peruvian and Argentinian experiences - Cavecom-e 2nd International eCommerce Congress - Moderator and panel speaker - Caracas, Venezuela - November 2021
· Structuring for successful startups, the Americas and Mediterranean experience - Moderator and panel speaker - Techne Summit - Alexandria, Egypt - October, 2021
· Structuring for asset and business protection in Peru - Amcham Peru - Moderator and panel speaker - Lima, Peru - August, 2021
· Taxation of eCommerce - Cavecom-e 1st International eCommerce Congress - Moderator and panel speaker - Caracas, Venezuela - November, 2020
· Last-mile Logistics and Express Delivery and the Explosion of Delivery - Cavecom-e 1st and 2nd International eCommerce Congress - Moderator and speaker - Caracas, Venezuela - November, 2020-2021
· TEDx Talk “Rewriting the identity of the Venezuelans”, Talk about corporate ethics, values and excellence. Case study: Tumotorizado.com - Caracas, Venezuela - August, 2018
· Startup Chile Demoday - Pitch of Zhipcode.com - Santiago de Chile - May 2015
· Red Innova, Wayra Demoday - Pitch of Tumotorizado.com - Buenos Aires - May 2014
· Joint ventures and VAT - Speaker at the IX Venezuelan Conference on Tax Law on VAT sponsored by the AVDT - Maracaibo, Venezuela - October 2009
·Joint Ventures and VAT - Speaker at the VI IDEPROCOP Tax Forum - Caracas, Venezuela - October 2009
· Cantor & Web - Speaker at the Private International Conference on Succession Planning Strategies for Private Banking Clients - Miami USA - October 2009
· ABA IFA - Speaker at the 2nd Annual International Conference on Tax Planning Strategies USA - Latin America - Miami USA, May 2009
· STEP - Speaker at the Caribbean International Conference on Succession Planning for Private Banking Clients - Panama , May 2008
· UCAB - Speaker at the National Conference on Wealth Tax - Caracas, April 2007
· UCV - Speaker at the National Conference on the New Organic Law of Municipal Regime held in Caracas - Caracas, June 2006
· CAF - Speaker at the National Conference on the Society and Information Technologies - Caracas, April 2000
· "From the caves to modernity in a flash. Taxation of the digital economy in Venezuela. Status quo and proposals". Tax magazine of the Colombian Tax Institute. Number 84.
· "Joint Venture Partnerships and Value Added Tax" available at Amazon.com.
· "Hurdles and Tax implications of cross border family and asset relocations. A practical analysis" available at the STEP Journal.
· "The annuality and autonomy rule of the fiscal year. Implications for income tax purposes" available at Manual Venezolano de Derecho Tributario. Tomo II.
· Top ranked corporate, international and HNWI tax attorney by Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 and Best Lawyers
· Top Ranked entrepreneur by Revista Gerente
· Awarded and sponsored by Wayra Venezuela, Grupo Telefonica incubator
· Awarded and sponsored by Startup Chile, Chilean Government incubator
· Director JTCGroup New York
· Mentor Bam-Mentors.com. Business Accelerator Mentors
· Advisor CEO Tumotorizado.com Venezuela. P2P express delivery service for the eCommerce industry
· Advisor Talpor.com Chile. IT boutique shop
· Advisor Altaclaro.com New York. Experiential eLearning startup/platform providing attorneys with universal access to interactive professional education.
· Director, Latam Institute of Family Businesses, Instituto Latinoamericano de Empresas Familiares ILAEF
· Director Venezuelan American Chamber of Commerce of the USA VACC
· Director Venezuelan Chamber of eCommerce Cavecom-e
· Ambassador of The Venezuela Private Capital Association Venecapital in New York City.
· Member of the Federation Binational Chambers of Commerce of Latam FEBICHAM, International Trade Chapter
· Member of the Venezuelan Association of Tax Law AVDT
- Member of the Venezuelan Association of Financial Law ASOVEDEFI
- Member DukeGEN - The Duke Global Entrepreneurship Network
Are you thinking of starting a business or scaling it with the help of a new partner? Do you have a great idea that solves a problem and want to start your own company or a technology startup? Do you want to build a high-performance team and invite other founders to become partners, but you don't want to give a priori shares of your company's equity to your new partners? One option you could explore is entering into a joint venture agreement to slow dance with your new partner before giving shares to him. In my book Joint Venture Agreements Under the Magnifying Glass of the Value Added Tax I explain how this contract works, what are the requirements for it to be valid and what is its tax treatment from the point of view of Value Added Tax. I hope you find it useful!
It’s been a real pleasure working with Marcel. He has a rare combination of skills that cross between entrepreneurship, law, and business strategy. Best of all he has a passion for what he does which adds super fuel to any of his endeavors. Marcel’s strategic advice has been very helpful to me and my startup in expanding into (and navigating) the Latin American market. I highly recommend working with Marcel in any capacity. He's a true partner in every sense.
I had the fortune of working with Marcel in the areas of WealthManagement, capital preservation and entrepreneurship. Marcel is a dynamic individual with creative ideas for any business project you may have. His enthusiasm is really contagious and he will take any individual or entity to the next level of success.
Marcel has been one of the most influencing mentors I had in my career; he was my professor in the Master on Tax Management. During such time, Marcel stood out among his colleagues as he undertook his responsibilities in a very professional manner and his classes were prepared to be easily understood, so that students learned the logics behind the tax theories. He is an extremely documented, enthusiast, proactive and inspiring professor, who knows how to bring out the best out of the students. He is one of the best professors I have had in my entire career.
Marcel has been my 1) friend, 2) attorney, 3) client, 4) alumni group-mate, 5) golf Buddy, 6) financial protector and comrade in arms for 20 or more years. He has impressed me across all these categories for a few basic attributes that simply make him a superb person, professional and friend: impecable honesty, great intellect, deep curiosity, strong drive to know and understand, a fine sense of humor and a fun, convivial and 'get along' personality. He has added enormous value to the various cases/assignments/activities we have shared over these decades. Apart from being a stupendous attorney, I have been aware of his numerous entrepreneurial activities over the years, all of which he has tackled with energy, enthusiasm and total dedication. He knows that to build a business you not only need strategy, you need - above all - a team. His broad vision includes the business aspect as well as the more difficult team building dimension. Whether in a professional or personal capacity, Marcel is a great colleague or companion. Cannot recommend too highly! Miss him terribly.
I had the opportunity to teamwork and supervise Marcel´s work as Country Manager Chile of startup incubator TELEFÓNICA OPEN FUTURE_ / Wayra Chile. Wayra invested and accelerated Tumotorizado.com in Venezuela and provided support in the launching of Zhipcode.com in Chile. Marcel is an excellent technology-oriented entrepreneur with strong agile IT project management skills. He successfully launched technological startups in his home country Venezuela and also in Chile. He is a great team leader, always accessible, very empathic, hardworking and a great developer of relationships. Marcel´s legal background and professional experience are fundamental and one of his competitive advantages as an entrepreneur and project manager. He is persistent and very creative when tacking the typical hurdles of operating a startup. I highly recommend Marcel. Without any doubt, he would be a pivotal asset to any high performing team.
I had the opportunity to work with Marcel as Senior MarketPlace Manager of Mercadolibre Venezuela. He is an incredibly organized person with top notch marketing, management and interpersonal skills. He has excellent knowledge of the internet industry given his experience in his own express delivery startup called Tumotorizado.com. He is one of those persons who you love to discuss things with because no matter how opposite your positions may be, its always a pleasure to brainstorm with him because his creativity always produces interesting results. This ability alone translates into great management and team building. His ability to listen and value your input is one of his strengths. He is pragmatical and a very quick learner, which gives him the skills to adjust to any circumstances. He has successfully managed projects during good times and bad times. He is a thorough professional with a brilliant career, consequence of his professional skills. One of the things I admire most is his focus and ability to deliver, no matter how busy he is. He was very good at finding solutions even in complicated uncharted waters. He used his relationships very effectively to achieve the objectives. Marcel will add value to any high performance team.
I have been friend of Marcel since Law School and also had the opportunity to work with him at an international law firm in Venezuela for several years in corporate and tax matters. We both had the same extraordinary legal mentor. We were also in close contact during his recent time with Amicorp. I have followed his successful career as a top ranked corporate tax and family business attorney and also as a serial entrepreneur, which has been recognized in multiple occasions. He cofounded and scaled with his partners a top ranked full-service law firm in Venezuela and has also ventured into the digital economy founding startups that have received the support of top incubators in LatAm. Marcel is an outgoing intelligent person, honest, hardworking, very creative and has a knack for getting things done well and on time. He delivers results when engaged in his legal professional capacity. When mentoring or advising startups in a more permanent fashion, he connects with its founders as one more member of the team with a hands-on approach. He is very generous sharing his knowledge and experience. When acting as leader of his startup teams he likes to train, delegate and celebrate team successes. He connects very well with his clients, colleagues and teammates. As a startup mentor and advisor to startups, corporations and family offices, I am sure he will add a lot of value to those who decide to work with him. It has been a pleasure to work with and follow Marcel’s professional and entrepreneurial carrier. I wish him success in all his ventures.
I worked with Marcel as an outside IT service provider for several years. I was responsible for supervising Talpor´s IT team in charge of developing the IT platform for his startups Tumotorizado.com and Zhipcode.com. I found working with Marcel consistently rewarding, since he persistently tackled all challenges to put in motion his last mile messenger app in Venezuela and Chile with dedication, creativity and a smile. In addition, his interpersonal skills are exemplary and appreciated by everyone who works with him. Besides being a great learning opportunity to work with, Marcel is a take-charge and very persistent person who is able to present creative ideas and communicate the benefits. He was successful putting in motion 2 startups in very difirent and difficult environments: Venezuela with the highest inflation rate of the world and Chile, a very competitive market, by developing strategies that have resulted in constant growth. Marcel was also extraordinarily helpful in all areas of his companies with a great lidership and empathic approach. In addition to writing and communicating effectively, Marcel outperforms in sales meetings and conferences as a public speaker inspiring and motivating the audiences. He can be trusted to deliver a completed project on schedule and within budget. I highly recommend Marcel. He is a team player and would make a great asset to any organization. Today Marcel advices Talpor in strategy and business development.
Esta sala de Clubhouse es impulsada por un equipo de moderadores, todos mentores o emprendedores exitosos.
En nuestras salas/meetups semanale...
Conversatorio virtual organizado por Plan Pais y la Red Global de la Diáspora de Venezuela con Juan Pio Hernandez de host y Tereza Lezcano d...
Podcast "Innovación sin barreras" con Jaime Sotomayor
Link al podcast: https://youtu.be/FBEQ_sQ-wcI
Asesorar o gestionar una empresa familiar en tiempos modernos no es algo trivial. Actividad promovida por el directorio del Instituto Latino...
Event sponsored by Cámara de Comercio Electrónico de Venezuela Cavecom-e.
Marcel Imery - Director JTC Group NYC
Rocio Fonseca - Direc...
Event sponsored by JTC Group at Technee Summit, Alexandria, Egypt
Marcel Imery - Director Business Development - JTCGroup.com - NYC o...
Podcast patrocinado por Lega Law. Escucha este podcast en diferido en este link https://youtu.be/ukYroSaLAwE
Podcast patrocinado por Lega Law. Escucha este podcast en diferido en este link https://youtu.be/Fq2Pc3q9xoo
Podcast patrocinado por Lega Law. Escucha este podcast en diferido en este link https://youtu.be/j4loGLhhTZA
Podcast patrocinado por Lega Law. Escucha este podcast en diferido en este link https://youtu.be/Mnh2UWkYeKE
Podcast patrocinado por Lega Law. Escucha este podcast en diferido en este link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNyTDRqe9TM